I love Roomba. It cleans our floors and it can be hacked to help teach my kids programming. Win!
Here are the setup steps that I used to get going talking to Roomba:
- Ordered a Rootooth bluetooth connection for Roomba. I could have build one from scratch, but I am a busy mom and hacker.
- Removed the cover from Roomba to expose the ROI port (Video).
- Setup the Bluetooth adapter on my Mac
- Start Bluetooth network assistant
- Have the firefly adapter deteted
- Enter the passkey: 1234
- Click edit serial ports to see what port it assigned. Mine was FireFly-943A-SPP. Alternatively, you can look at /dev directory
- Next, you need to configure the baud rate for your Roomba. I found these instructions helpful
- Install zterm on your mac - set the serial port to your roomba and the baud rate to the correct baud rate
- On zterm you now should be able to echo any key you type
- Download RoombaComm java package
- Look at the README. You will need to run makeit.sh to build and ./rxtxlib/macosx_setup.command (for Macs)
- Finally run RoombaCommTest.sh to connect up and control your Roomba!